NOSTALGIC MEMORIES






I missed secondary school a little this week. So, I decided to dig up a write-up I did back in school.

MY EXPERIENCE AS THE ASSEMBLY PREFECT

Growing up as the first child of my parents, I had responsibilities assigned to me all the time, literally, but being the Assembly Prefect of Starville School and having to work to put both the junior and senior assemblies in order was an entirely different experience all together. Yet I was determined to make my impact felt as the Assembly Prefect, and so I tried my best to put my all into it.

Being the Assembly Prefect helped me reach out to a huge chunk of the school's students and, I'd say, helped me relate better with people. As the Assembly Prefect, I met with students filled with uncertainty, unsure of themselves, and afraid to speak up for themselves. My post, however, gave me the opportunity of reaching out to them and giving them a nudge or a push (as the situation demanded) in an attempt to reassure them that they could do anything they put their minds to.

I'd think up ideas for presentations, try to bring a different idea into the dramas, be sure to inform the class presenting about their presentation ahead of time, and then show up in school by seven o'clock on Monday morning on the verge of having a panic attack because the class that was meant to present was empty.

Getting an idea for a presentation every week for the coming Monday was challenging; relating the idea to the students and mobilizing them to work on it proved more challenging as time went by; but you know what was most challenging? Getting the class of unprepared students to show up in school by seven o'clock or ten minutes past seven on Monday morning!

Sincerely, juggling my responsibilities as a student and as the Assembly Prefect was a bit draining and required a lot of organization and planning; nonetheless, being the Assembly Prefect did have its good sides. Getting to meet students with different personalities, hyping students up five minutes before their presentation on the assembly even though I knew they were grossly unprepared and stood a great chance of making a mess out of everything, laughing over how seriously I was taking the job, getting waved at by five to seven different students I don't know but I'm pretty sure I've seen in one of the classes that presented on the assembly, and best of all, receiving warm hugs and words of gratitude from students after their splendid presentation on the assembly!

When I was much younger (not that I'm a lot older now...), the position of the Assembly Prefect wasn't anywhere close to the top of my list in terms of vying for a position of prefect-ship, but after these few months as the Assembly Prefect, if I could go back and do it all over again, I'd choose to be the Assembly Prefect of Starville School!

 

Comments

  1. Ayomide...Your writings are quite thought provoking and full of insights .I love what you are doing and I am highly impressed. Keep pushing the boundaries for greater achievements my dear daughter..Kudos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sirrrrrrr🥳🥳❤️❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IN RETROSPECT

Welcome Blog

GRATEFUL FOR GROWTH